Many people think transcriptions are only for making it easy for the hearing impaired to consume your content (and that is ONE way you can use transcripts), but there are other ways to use transcriptions. Topics Covered • The use of robots in...
Many people think transcriptions are only for making it easy for the hearing impaired to consume your content (and that is ONE way you can use transcripts), but there are other ways to use transcriptions.
• The use of robots in podcast production
• AI tools for podcasting
• Transcription services and their multiple uses
• Closed captions in podcasting
• Importance of proper use of transcripts and SEO
Different Uses of Podcast Transcripts
Transcripts can serve many different purposes in podcasting. Here are a few ways they can be used:
1. Closed captions: Transcripts can be used to create closed captions, which improves accessibility for hearing-impaired audiences.
2. Content editing: Transcripts can be used as a tool for editing podcast content. By reviewing the transcript, podcasters can identify areas of the episode that need improvement or clarification.
3. Quote pulling: Transcripts can also be used to pull quotes from the episode for promotional or marketing purposes.
4. SEO improvement: Transcripts can improve search engine optimization by providing text content that search engines can crawl and understand.
5. Alternative content consumption: Some listeners prefer to read transcripts rather than listen to the entire episode, so transcripts can provide an alternative way for audiences to consume the content.
It's important to note that unedited transcripts may not make sense and could actually hurt SEO if used for episode descriptions, so it's important to edit transcripts before using them for any purpose.
An Evolving Space
The one thing that is staying the same in this space is CHANGE. There were over 1000 tools based on AI released in April. So by the time you read this, the apps I'm mentioning will have added updates, and there will probably be updates in about 10 minutes. This makes it VERY hard (if not impossible) to pick a "Best one". Capsho has the highest price if you want all the bells and whistles, and CastMagic is the best deal right now with a lifetime deal on Appsumo.
How I Saved 40 Minutes Editing One Episode
I got permission to play a part of another podcast. I said, hey, can I take this clip from your show and play it in mine? And they're like, "Yeah, that's fine," except it was a 50-minute episode, and I couldn't remember where that clip was. I ran it up through Otter, had it, transcribed it, and I searched for the phrase I was looking for, and there it was.
And I could see where it was near the end of the show. So I saved at least 40 minutes looking for a certain part of the episode that I would use.
Show Edits In a Google Doc
You could take your transcript, and in the Google Doc there is a highlighter, and you could mark your edits on the screen and share the link with your editor.
Easier to Spot "Pull Quotes"
You can read an episode faster than listening to it, so when you are listening for pull quotes, you can spot these easier with transcripts.
Mentioned In This Episode
As I release this it's January which is a month where many people launch a podcast. Why? Because it's a new year and they are pumped up and ready to embrace the new year. That is great and I love …
I'm often confused by this question, someone will come up to me and say, Hey, Dave, there are these different places where I should list my podcast. Should I list my show in (insert directory name)? My answer is, well, …
I see this question in different places. My show is getting X amount of downloads is that good? What Makes a Good Podcast? When I did some research and looked at all the content I consume they all did one …
People ask me, "How Long Should My Podcast Be?" What is the ideal podcast length? For a while, everyone wanted to make a 20-minute podcast as that was the average commute in the US. I prefer the answer from Valerie …
You might be thinking, "Technology and I are not friends." I hear this all of the time from clients, "But Dave you don't understand my VCR blinked 12:00 for years." I know. I've heard this many times. To this, I …
Have you ever wondered if you should start a podcast? I've asked my audience and clients this question, "Because of my podcast _______" and today you will hear how: Their networks have grown Reaching a global audience They are getting …